Wednesday, June 23, 2010

blog mondays:scents of life

This week's question: what are your four favorite smells?

1. banana nut bread candles: Several years ago my family and I discovered the banana nut bread scented Yankee Candle. For some reason this particular candle scent became a favorite of ours and often turned up under the Christmas tree or at a Birthday celebration as a beloved gift. I think the scent is so enticing because it creates a warm, welcoming aroma that I especially love to fill my living space
with on those cold, autumn days. We were all sorely disappointed when Yankee Candle Company discontinued the banana nut bread scent. We were forced to resort to other candle companies, none of which could quite replicate the Yankee Candle version of our beloeved candle. This past Christmas, one of the gifts I opened up from my Dad was...you guessed it... a banana nut bread Yankee Candle!!! I shrieked with excitement wondering aloud how he would've gotten his hands on this discontinued candle. Appartently, the Niedenthals weren't the only lovers of the banana nut bread candle -- Yankee Candle Company had so many requests for this scent that they decided to bring it back for a limited time for all its fans. When Justin and I unpacked all our new Christmas gifst into our apartment, the Yanke Candle was immediately put out and lit, filling out apartment with its delightful banana nut bread scent.

2. ocean air: It's that wet, salty air that always makes me close my eyes, breathe in deep and sigh when I approach the beach. I am usually
approaching it upon arriving somewhere for a long-awaited vacation. "Relax," the scent tells me, "you're on vacation." There is something magnificent about the ocean. It's vastness is compelling and staring out at it seems to wash away life's worries. The waves swell and my feet sink into the sand as the water rolls over them. These are some of my favorite moments.

3. freshly showered: I love the crisp, clean smell of being freshly showered. The strong scent of shampoo and body wash wafts through the air as it rushes out of the steam-filled bathroom. This smell is often associated with the beginning of a new day, a fresh start.







4. food on the grill: The smoky, barbecue smell that drifts from hot dogs and hamburgers cooking on the grill never fails to bring a little smile to my mouth. That's because it usually means summer.
Those long, summer nights when the sun sets late, the fireflies are lighting up in the yard and I'm still in my bathing suit from a day at the pool are some of the best nights of the year. They usually leave me feeling carefree and relaxed...and full of food fresh
off the grill.

4 comments:

  1. girl, Yankee Candle does it right! Those feelings are similar to the ones I have for their Pumpkin candle. The smell itself, warms the place up! and "home for the holidays" at Christmas. perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love, love, LOVE! Grilling IS a great smell - if not one of the best. And you nailed all the reasons why in your description. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i just came across this... yum!

    http://www.kitchendaily.com/recipe/outdoor-grilled-cheese-sandwich-138773

    ReplyDelete
  4. Em -- we'll just have to cuddle up this fall with a Yankee Candle burning as we watch our favorite chick flick (the Notebook of course).

    Katie -- I think we should all have a grill out together to honor our love of grilling and summer nights (even if only one person can be on your deck at once ;)).

    ReplyDelete