Sunday, July 18, 2010

blog mondays: songs on repeat


What are the four songs you currently play on repeat?

1. California Gurls: I can't help myself. It's a radio hit which puts it instantly on my favorite playlist. This song is everything I want in a summer beat: catchy, dancy, and perfect for singing at the top of your lungs with the car windows down. Katy Perry sings "sun-kissed skin so hot, I melt your popsicle...."

2. When I Look at You: I like this song for a few reasons. It's one of the theme songs in a recent Nicholas Sparks movie (check out my previous entry with a review of The Last Song) and those movies always have a certain way of tugging at my heart. It's one of those ballads with a chorus that features the artist (Miley Cyrus in this case) singing so passionately that you can feel it. Another reason I like it is because although the lyrics are probably meant to be about a guy, I've found that many of the lines in the song remind me of God -- I often sing the lyrics as if I'm talking with God. The following verses could be straight out of a praise song I've song at church:

"When my world is falling apart
When there's no light to break up the dark
That's when I, I
I Look at you

When the waves
Are flooding the shore and I can't
Find my way home anymore
That's when I, I
I Look at you

When I look at you, I see forgiveness
I see the truth
You love me for who I am
Like the stars hold the moon
Right there where they belong
And I know I'm not alone"

3. Break Your Heart: The beat of this song has me fist pumping at stoplights while I'm driving in my car. Another good song to sing while driving with the windows down. Also perfect for the dance floor on a summer night out on the town. Plus, it features one of my favorite rappers, Ludacris.

4. Rude Boy: Another classic radio hit, by Rihanna. Another song I get excited about every time it comes on over the radio station (which is quite often since they play it all the time). I think I like this one because even Justin gets into this song when we hear it. The lyrics might not be completely appropriate, but if I'm honest, that may be part of the reason I find myself drawn to this song.

1 comment: